Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A workshop working....

The other day I had the opportunity to sit down with one of our students and give her some help on a big school project. She is a 4th grader and had a HUGE project due on the snowy eared owl. She needed to write a feature article including a position statement, graphic illustrations, historical information, a personal position and bibliography!! I must admit that 4th grade is a lot harder than it was when I went to school ;-)
What really struck me was that our student was prepared and ready to put her paper together. She readily admitted that the skills she learned in the workshop made the whole process a lot less daunting for her. While she thought she needed me to help her, in actuality I just encouraged her on to the finish!!
The best part of our time together came at the end when she told me "This is so cool...this is the first report my mom didn't have to help me write!! I think I'll get an "A"." This is pretty cool...seeing first hand that our workshops are valuable tools for all students!

No comments:

Post a Comment